Wednesday, October 17, 2007

What is a Tyler Thing?

Just a little bit earlier tonight, my 5 yo daughter started talking about Tasmanian Tigers, and how they became extinct. She said her friend Madeline said they all had their heads chopped and that's how they became extinct. I said I didn't think that that was why... someone wouldn't have gone around and just chopped off their heads because they didn't like them! She said how they were also called Tyler Sing's, not just Tasmanian Tigers. Tyler Sing? Whats that? I thought she was saying "sing" instead of "thing", so that translated to Tyler Thing. What is a Tyler Thing? I asked her. She said her teacher called the Tasmanian Tiger that too. A Tyler Thing? Why would anyone call it that? There must be a different name. Something else instead of "Thing". My daughter was adamant. And she was also adamant that their heads were chopped off. "How do you know?" I asked her. "Because Madeline looked it up on the 'net". "Alright," I said, "we'll look it up too".

And what do you know? The scientific name for Tasmanian Tiger is "Thylacine" (pronounced Tyler-seen"). :-)

And their heads probably were cut off too - through hunting, although that's not how they became extinct!

Lesson: never argue with a know-it-all 5 year old.

1 Comments:

  • At 11:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Loved this about Tyler Sings - yep - you certainly have a very clever 5yo there. LOL

     

Post a Comment

<< Home